Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New In My Wardrobe

You may have noticed recently that there haven't been many outfit posts published on my blog. Other than not having the time to document what I wear each day, the reason for this is that it is just too hot here in Oz to wear my usual and favoured style of 1960's clothing. I do not particularly like to wear my vintage clothing items during the Summer season. Many of the dresses from my collection were intended for colder climates and seasons, with long sleeves and thick fuzzy fabrics - certainly not appropriate for this weather! In this heat I find myself wearing more weather appropriate clothing that I am not too worried to get damaged from long, hot walks or impulsive leaps out in the rain. That is not to say however that I have not been adding to my vintage collection. I thought I'd share some of the lovely things that I've managed to get my paws on these last couple of months. 

Above is a pair of silver, spangly shoes from the 1960's. They are in very nice condition, surprisingly very comfortable for a size 5 and 1/2 (I am a 7, would you believe?), and they only cost me $1.50 - neato! This psychedelic mini, also spangly and shimmery and from the 1960's, was bought on a bit of a whim. It is a size too big for me but I could not leave it sitting alone tucked away in between a hoard of cheap children's play costumes in a charity shop. It had to come home with me. I mean who can resist bell sleeves like that?


This spotty dotty orange mini sits happily in my wardrobe with an air of cheek about it. I found it in a charity shop, however it looked a little different then. Instantly recognizing it as 1960's vintage from the corner of my eye, I pulled it out from the racks and marched straight to the change rooms without looking at it twice. Upon slipping the dress over my head I realized that someone had recently altered it, I imagine for some sort of fancy dress purpose. The buttons had all been undone and the collar folded right down over them and stitched into place. To describe it as revealing would be an understatement. Sneaky me couldn't wait and wanted to see the dress in its former glory. So out came the keys from my purse and snip! I unpicked those nasty stitches.

 It's okay - I did intend to buy it in the first place anyway!

I cannot quite remember where the blouse with the gold trimmed ruffles and string bow came from, but I have planned a lot of outfits around this one. Pinafore dresses shall become its new best friend come winter time. The black velvety purse was found for a just few cents in a sale bin up north. It was worth the rummage. 



Here we have a 1970's midi length dress with matching cloth belt and a full circle skirt. With a nice and breathable fabric it should be perfect for this autumn and will look fabulous with a pair of black suede knee high boots. Next to it is this beautiful, ruffly, butter yellow prom dress that is from the 1950's. Too tiny for me but it looks just darling hanging up on the inside door of my wardrobe permanently. 


And lastly, perhaps my favourite of the bunch, a late 1960's Merle Stephen maxi dress. Wearing it makes me feel like a BIBA girl. It calls to mind smokey dolly eyes, big floppy felt hats and glossy black nail polish. Lovely. Hopefully these will all make appearances in outfit posts on the blog sometime soon. I'm a little over the blazing heat and am missing my old dollybird get-up. What's something that you have been missing lately?

To see more from my vintage wardrobe click here and here

38 comments:

  1. There's some beauties there! Love that last maxi dress and that spotty mini is so you, it really is cute!
    I've been missing warmth. I hate having to go out in layer upon layer, for my eyes to continually water and my skin to be so pale. I need sunshine. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix and I'm glad that you think so - I cannot wait to wear it. The cold over there must get awful, I don't believe I've ever experienced anything that cold before over here, not even way down south where it can snow. I hope that you soak up all the sunshine you can get in Goa!

      Delete
  2. Oooh! I love those shoes, you did so well getting them for such an amazing price! I don't like wearing a lot of my vintage items in summer too, I feel they are too delicate for the sweaty, horrid days...I save them for the odd day when its bearable :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very happy with them. And I'm glad I'm not alone in that! My collection practically goes into hibernation at this time of year.

      Delete
  3. You find such unbelievably neat stuff! I'm in love with that orange dress and can't wait to see everything featured in outfit posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm quite lucky! Hopefully they get featured when the weather starts to cool down!

      Delete
  4. I love the maxi dress! Hopefully we get to see all of these lovely dresses in all their glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Come autumn I'm hoping that they all get a good wear.

      Delete
  5. oh my word! such lovely frocks. i do have to say that the yellow one is just so dreamy. i always love your style, but i like the description of not wearing vintage as much to be able eto be in the heat or run out into the rain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Abigail. In a perfect world I'd love to wear vintage everyday but I couldn't give up jumping out into the rain or evening walks while the sun is still up.

      Delete
  6. Hi Lucy I just stumbled across your blog and love it! You have a great vintage collection and I love your sense of style. I'm also a big collector of vintage sleepwear and haven't met many other people who are collectors. Looking forward to more of you posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you, thank you very much! And there really are some beauties to collect when it comes to vintage sleepwear aren't there?

      Delete
  7. Oh I hear you...how I miss the brief cooler months of the year. The humidity makes my 'signature style' harder to manage! I adore all kinds of polyester, but can't wear them through the heat of summer. I'm longing for tights & cardigans. I love your finds, particularly that orange frock. Your wardrobe must be growing at this rate! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is exactly it! I am with you on that - let's hope that we get an early autumn! And yes, my wardrobe is growing at a rate that leaves me having to start getting rid of clothing in order to put more in - it's quite out of control and needs a good spring clean!

      Delete
  8. oh my gosh im so in love with all of them! especially the bell sleeved dress and the biba-ish dress! great finds! And good thinking, saving that lovely orange dress from the shame of being a fancy dress costume. goodness me, the audacity and whatnot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like them, thank you! It was actually extremely out of character for me to do so, not too sure what came over me! I think perhaps it could have been a result of the fact that it was half price sale day and the store was completely chock a block with customers squeezing through narrow clothing rack aisles and practically leaping for the changes rooms when there was an opportunity. It was a very urgent sort of atmosphere and I was very glad to be out when I'd finished my shopping!

      Delete
  9. Gosh how very lucky you've been, you always seem to find the best stuff! They're all really fabulous finds, I do especially love the lime green shimmery number! It's a shame it's too big, but you could get it altered to fit, it's usually quite cheap to get done. It'd be such a shame to leave it unworn. You definitely have my fullest sympathies with the heat, I just cannot cope when it's too warm and humid out, definitely not a time for polyester! I hope it cools down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! Yes I'm considering getting it altered. It would be a shame to leave it unworn, indeed. I think it is the humidity that makes it so unbearable, ugh. And yes, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  10. They're all so gorgeous! You truly have a gift for finding such stunning pieces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you have such amazing clothes! And I love those sparkly shoes too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! There are very fun shoes, and so comfy too!

      Delete
  12. These are all amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited to see all of these outfits on the blog this year!!!! Those sparkly shoes are dreamy :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they get some spotlight time! I'm glad that you like them all!

      Delete
  14. I feel your pain about the weather making it difficult to do outfit posts. Except that it's freezing here. Looking forward to seeing your future 60s-inspired looks!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so frustrating, isn't it? Thanks so much - I hope I can get some up soon!

      Delete
  15. Great finds! I love the dress on the first photo... sorry about the weather... it happens... but soon the cold will start going away...
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Though it is the cold I am waiting so eagerly for haha!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, thanks! It is a shame it's too small though!

      Delete
  17. Wow!!! These are all so incredibly lovely! I love the polka dot piece. How incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such luck with your finds! Everything is gorgeous. I'm a sucker for spots and polka dots though so that may be my favourite

    ReplyDelete