Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Vintage Dress Collection

The other day the boy and I popped into our local antique store for a quick look around. Whilst in there I came across a very lovely vintage dress from the 1960's. Not usually my choice in colour, but it fit beautifully and I loved the style so I bought it for $35.00. When I got home it inspired me to share with you my growing collection of vintage dresses ranging from the mid 1960's to the mid 1970's. 

I began collecting vintage items of clothing, amongst other knick knacks, about five years ago. I had already been dressing in 1960's inspired fashions several years beforehand but it wasn't until then that I began actually wearing vintage (aside from the odd purse or pair of shoes here and there). I have also never spent more than $35.00 on a vintage dress, as of today. Over the years I have patiently searched through charity store after charity store, sale rack after sale rack and this is what I have slowly compiled. To some of you it may not make much sense: to strenuously search for something so uncommon that can easily be found in flourishes upon the Internet. But in all honesty I feel that if I began buying vintage online I'd become too much of an impulsive buying and end up having enough clothing that I could swim in. It's already getting to that point as it is. So I think by doing it the harder, longer way it is a much more effective way to control my spending and space within my closet. It may not be the biggest collection of dresses, but I am very pleased with what I have. 

1. The only maxi dress within my collection. I bought it last year for $7.00. The fit is lovely and reminds me of an early 70's BIBA design. You can read more about this dress here

2. I call this one the 'Jean Shrimpton' dress as the cut reminds me of the dress the model wore to the Melbourne Cup Carnival in Australia, 1965. The fabric has a delicate suede feel to it and it comes with a groovy plastic ring belt. Unfortunately I am unable to fit this dress anymore. It has a very tiny fit and was bought at a time when I was twig-thin for $10.00. 

3. This was one of the first vintage dresses I ever bought. It is a Crimplene dress and I think a wee bit Space Age lookin'. It is really quite big, almost a little too big for me to wear. It was $15.00. 

4. Not really a dress, but a skirt and vest suit set. For $6.00, it had the most beautiful soft texture. I couldn't resist it. The two pieces of fabric that are hanging down wrap around to tie at the back. I always thought this suit looked a bit Bus Stop by Lee Bender.

5. Another dress that I can no longer fit. It is very very tiny. A handmade dress, I bought it from a tiny little charity store way up north whilst visiting my Grandmother on holiday and for just $1.00. It has such a pretty print with pink flowers all over it and the cuffs are divine. I used to live in this dress.







 6. This orange dress with the big chocolate shop bow was bought up north for $12.00 and found within the costume section of a charity store. From that day on I learnt to always look in the costume sections of charity stores and by doing so I have found many other different types of vintage clothing and sleepwear over the years.

7. 'Dolly's Dress' was bought at the beginning of this year for only $6.00. You can read more about her here.

8. This dress was bought for $7.00 just not long ago. It reminds me of something Marianne Faithfull would have worn in the late 60's. You can read more about this dress here.

9. Another one of the first vintage dress I ever bought. It came from a little charity shop that no longer exists. I cannot remember how much I paid for it. I loved the little pocket detailing when I first saw it. The only thing about this dress is its size. It is quite big. Back when I bought it I did not have very good self-perception and for some ridiculous reason thought that it would fit me. Even now, weighing a lot more these days, it is still too big for me to wear. And so it just sits in my closet looking pretty.

10. This is another dress that I bought not long ago. You can read more about this one here.

11. And here is the lovely dress that I just bought! Brown with white stitching and a single silver button on the collar. It is in beautiful condition too.

12. What a silly girl I was. This dress was christened 'The Dentist's Dress' by the boy. Another of the first few vintage items of clothing I ever bought, it was originally a maxi dress. I thought I'd have a shot of hacking the bottom off and hemming it up into a mini dress. Did not turn out well, but that doesn't stop me from wearing it! The belt it comes with is quite damaged. I have to be very careful when wearing it.

13. I think this dress was the very first vintage dress I ever bought. I think. It was $4.00 from a charity shop and by Lady Wrangler. I practically lived in this dress during my art school days.

14. Bought two years ago for $34.00 from our local antique store. Perfect, green and very tiny I could just fit into the beauty. But upon meeting the boy and being gifted with chocolates here and there my hopes of fitting into it became hopeless, ha! You can see the dress more clearly here.

15. This beautiful velvet dress I call the 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress' dress. You can read more about it here.

16. And finally, perhaps my favourite in my collection, this psychedelic little mini. You can see it better here.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your growing collection of frocks! I enjoyed having a sticky beak. I love that yellow one in the first group, the orange one in the second group, but it goes without saying that my favourite is that kermit green dress in the third group. I do love the green one you're wearing too. I've gained weight since starting my collection too, so some of my old favourites no longer fit. You look gorgeous in these pics. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I am very glad that you enjoyed having a look. I enjoyed sharing them!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post! AI adore that cerise maxi, the lime green shift and that fab shirred frock you're rocking! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely collection of dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dresses! I love 60s fashions too and that's what I mainly collect. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's always wonderful to find another person who loves and appreciates 60's fashion. I love seeing other people's collections too!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea for a post, you certainly have a lot of lovely dresses! The last dress is my favourite, I love psychedelic prints and the colours really suit you. I also really like dresses 5 and 6, such a shame 5 no longer fits but I understand, chocolate is better anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love psychedic prints too, or another with very bright bold colours. And I agree!

      Delete
  6. You have an impressive collection, that yellow dress is my favourite I think!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    P.S.: Thanks for leaving such nice comment on my last post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! so many pretty ladies! I love 5,6 and 16! but number 5 is really such a pretty little thing! I always have the same issue at vintage shops. i try not to spend more then $30 or $40 if its really special, though being able to make things kind of changes that too.

    You have such a wonderful collection so far, i hope it get bigger for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! Yes, I think sometimes it is good to go a little over if you think it is very special once in a while. I cannot imagine that amount of freedom that you have being able to sew your own dresses and choose how they look and fit. I'd love to be able to do that.
      Thanks again, I hope so too!

      Delete
  8. you most certainly such pretty looking dresses! I love thr yellow one :)

    WISH UPON A SMILE

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many adorable dresses *envy* You look so cool in psychadelic vibrant prints! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many beautiful garments! I really love the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 14th dresses, as well as the ones you are wearing in the first and last photos. I'm inspired to make a post like this someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I am glad that you like them. Let me know if you make a post - I'd love to see it!

      Delete