Sunday, November 10, 2013

Blonde Haired Woman in a Bright Green Skirt

During an outing on Friday afternoon the boy had to make a quick trip to the printers. Having not been for what seemed too long, I took the opportunity to visit all the second hand stores in the area, five to be precise. When it was time to come looking for me, by chance having no credit left in his phone, he had to pop his head in the door of each store and ask the person at the counter "Has a blonde haired woman in a bright green skirt by any chance been in here?" Of course each of them said yes, and typically I was found in the last store.

Outfit:

- White lace blouse
- Vintage green skirt
- Vintage white purse
- Scarf from Catherine (see here)
- Black ballerina flats
- New hair cut with Françoise Dorléac in mind

Whilst in this last store, a Salvation Army charity shop, I began conversation with one of the women who worked there. I was informed that the next was the shop's birthday and to celebrate everything would be half-price. Rather excited I made plans to come back again, but had a quick look inside anyway. And goodness I'm glad I did.

Earlier that day I had only been looking at my vintage collection and noticed that I had not any vintage maxi dresses. Whilst browsing I came across this beautiful cyclamen coloured dress. Really, the camera does not do this dress justice. It was a great find for me because I'm quite short, and maxi dresses never seem to fit me, but this fit just right. And for only $7.00 it was a steal. I could have waited and got it the next day for only $3.50 but I was too afraid that it would end up in the clutches of someone else. I also bought myself three burnt orange espresso mugs and saucers by Gempo Fine China - Japan for only $1.50. Pity there was no fourth.


Coming back the next day I found many things:

The above pair of shoes -  $1.50.
They are very tiny, at size 5. I couldn't believe I could fit into them.
It made me wonder, if I can fit into these why can't I fit into these?!

Brocade dress - $5.00


Cisada dress with original tag still intact - $2.50
It has splits right up the side which at first did not appeal to me, but after thinking of pairing it with a pair of black tights like Edie here in a similar looking dress I fell in love with it.

Powder blue chiffon blouse from Suzy Speed - $2.00

Vintage white wrist length gloves - $2.00
Vintage white over the elbow gloves - $3.50

23 comments:

  1. Great finds Lucy....I love the coffee cups & that maxi dress. Isn't the tag just darling! Love that green skirt on you too. Your hair looks SO pretty. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love the tag on the maxi dress too. I always find it just a little disappointing when I pick up a vintage item of clothing and the tag has either been cut off or is too worn to read.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Lucy! I think you made a smart decision to buy the cyclamen maxi. Surely it would have been snatched quickly when bargain hunters crowded the shop the next day. You didn't receive half off the price but you received double the satisfaction knowing it's yours and it fits perfectly.

    You looked extraordinary Friday in your green skirt and white blouse and wearing the scarf our dear friend Catherine sent you. You remind me of a Sixties dolly escaped from her box to explore Carnaby for fashion finds. Isn't it wonderful to know that you make a favorable and lasting impression wherever you go?

    Good night to you, dear friend Lucy, and have a super week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady! Yes, indeed I did receive double the satisfaction buying the dress earlier.
      What a very lovely thing to say, thank you very much! You have a fab week too.

      Delete
  3. You look fab with your new hair and the emerald skirt! Love that maxi dress and those groovy cups and that black tunic rocks! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The maxi is a glorious score, and I adore your new haircut! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say, im really liking your photo layouts here. very creative! and what a great maxi dress! you could pair it with a big floppy hat and pretend you bought it from Biba!
    I once made a tunic much like Edies, but i never got to wear it anywhere! shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I thought I might try something a little different. I hadn't really changed my blog layout for two years and I thought it need some spritzin' up.
      Oh I shall definitely be doing that - it is funny too. I found an image just recently of the colour palette that was used in Biba in the winter of 1973, and the colour of the maxi dress happens to be on it!
      Do you still have the tunic like Edie's? You should wear it if you do!

      Delete
    2. yeah i do still have it! I should get dressed up and take some photos! but here it is anyway - http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/my-girl-edie

      Delete
  6. I just love the colour of your skirt and the maxi dress was such a great find! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you found many great items!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many bargains! I adore the powder blue top with the pretty white collar detailing. I love shopping at charity shops, you get so much more for your money :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And yes, there are so many things about shopping at charity stores.

      Delete
  9. Hang on a second, forgive me for being soooooo slow, but I had no idea you were from Brisbane! This whole time I have thought you lived in the UK...! All of your vintage finds for the week are seriously amazing, especially that blue blouse and those gorgeous orange cups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! Not quite from Brisbane. I am about two hours south of there. But occasionally I take a day trip up there, and always make sure I visit the gardens. Southbank is particularly lovely, especially at night time. Really? I wonder how many others think I live in the UK! And thank you!

      Delete
  10. wow you really found soooo great things! especially the powder blue blouse is adorable and the gloves!
    no wonder they remember all the blonde girl in a bright green skirt as you look fabulous!
    kiss,mary
    http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

    ReplyDelete