Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Ruby Slippers


























































As a little girl I always dreamed of owning a pair of ruby slippers. To this day those deep red sequined shoes that Dorothy wore on those dainty feet of hers have been floating in and out of my mind. I don't know about you, but I've never come across the perfect pair of red shoes. Yes, some of you may remember these, but I've (almost) come to accept that they'll never fit. What I'm really loving at the moment is this tutorial from Faye over at Oh! Darling. What a neat idea, right? Now I'm currently on the lookout everywhere for shoes that I can turn into my dream pair of reds.

However, before I read of Faye's tutorial I found these shoes some time ago at a local charity store. No they aren't vintage and even though I wasn't too fond of the shade I bought them as I loved the double mary-jane strap.  I clearly remember the women at the counter calling me Dorothy on the way out. Must've been the shoes (oh really!). Anyway, I'd never worn them because they didn't feel quite right on me, until I paired them with a pair of ankle socks à la Miss Gale. Not quite the ruby slippers, I know, but I think they'll do!



























You may have also been wondering where I've been lately. I've been quite busy indeed, juggling assignment after assignment with smuggling pizza into the movies, dining at lovely little tea houses that sell strawberry tea in polka-dot pots, listening to Bowie in the bath and much more. And believe it or not (I know I don't), I've just been invited to become a member of one of the world's largest honour societies recognizing academic achievement in collegiate studies. I feel like I've just been given the key to Emerald City. Yes, it's a great opportunity but I'm a little daunted by it at the same time. We'll see what cooks!

26 comments:

  1. Those heels are perfection! I have a weakness for red heels for the very same reason, I'd love to find a pair of red glittery ones though that are just right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute shoes and congratulations on being asked to become a member, it'll be a great opportunity and I'm sure you'll go far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the Wizard of Oz but I love your red shoes.
    Congrats on becoming a member, what a great opportunity. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - could your shoes be any cooler?
    And I love your dress!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kati. I was so distracted by my shoes in this post I completely forgot about the dress, haha!

      Delete
  5. Your shoes are super cute and I love how you paired them with the socks! Congratulations on becoming a member, that's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow it sounds like you're having an amazing fall/winter! Good luck on all thats to come.
    When i was little i always wanted shoes like that. I have red shoes, but like you, im still on the hunt for that perfect pair.
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying at least, Abigail, amongst the mass of work and moving stress I'm also experiencing haha! Thank you very much either way! Really, it makes me wonder if the perfect pair really exists out there. There are too many different styles that I want in red!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your inclusion to an honour society! I hope it opens many doors for you in the future!
    Now, those shoes! I love it with the socks. I'm yet to try that heels and socks combo, but maybe in summer I'll give it a try with clogs. I love your version with the pretty kitty frock! Very 40s pin-up girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Catherine! Definitely give it a go, it's a lot more comfortable than wearing heels without socks, I think! And again, thank you!

      Delete
  8. I agree, I had always been in awe of those classic ruby slippers! It's a shame the other pair didn't fit, but the ones you're wearing there are also lovely.
    That's very exciting news about the honour society! What a fantastic opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anneka! I hope you find your dream pair of ruby slippers one day!

      Delete
  9. Very lovely shoes, I do always love a pair of ankle socks! I love that they're quite fashionable at the moment as I'm really stocking up. I love the footwear paired with the cat print on your dress, it's lovely! It sounds like you've been having a lot of fun, and congratulations on the honour society, it's so wonderful when hard work has been recognised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always on the lookout for them too, but they have to be just right. I bought these ones in bulk with all different colours some months ago. I was a little unsure whether or not it would bring out the tiny bits of red in the dress, but I hope it worked!
      And thank you very much, Faye. Receiving the news was like a beam of light from the clouds after so many years of studying so hard.

      Delete
  10. Your shoes (and your whole outfit, too) are adorable! I'm sure that the perfect pair of shoes is waiting for you out there somewhere :) Congratulations on becoming a member, that's so exciting!
    xx Tessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tessie! I'm sure they are, I will find them some day!

      Delete
  11. What a fabulous dress and those shoes are too cute, even more so with the lacy ankle socks.
    I confess I've always wanted to dress up as Dorothy with the gingham frock, sparkly red shoes & little doggy in a basket.
    Congratulations on your achievements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And I say, if you've always dreamed it, do it!

      Delete
  12. I share your obsession with Dorothy's red shoes. There was something about the shade and the depth and richness of the glitter - add technicolour and - magic! :)

    I love the strap on your shoes and the dress you've teamed them with is so pretty. I love outfits which are both bold and hyper-feminine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the outfit. Something a bit different for me, but it is nice to change things up a little.

      Delete
  13. I've always wanted a pair of glittery red mary janes but I ended up with a velvety pair of red Melissas which is not bad either but not the same thing. Technicolor dreams is what I aim for ahah! Love your socks... and your hair!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most certainly not bad either, I wouldn't mind something like that, and what a great aim haha! Thanks very much too! I've been doing rag curls lately.

      Delete