Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lucky Me and Walter Mitty

This week I've been a little busy doing things here and there. And my goodness, if you live in Australia too you'll know it's been hot! Is it too much wishful thinking to hope for a little rain?

On Saturday the boy and I had a day at the movies, seeing two films in a row, and a planned third if it hadn't already started in the next theatre. Just something that we like to do every now and then. When buying the tickets for the second film the lady at the counter was quite confused to see me already munching on a half eaten box of popcorn. The first film that we saw was "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", and my goodness I enjoyed it. Based on the short story by James Thurber first published in The New Yorker in 1939, and directed by Ben Stiller, the film is definitely one worth watching with it being a master mixture of action, adventure, drama, comedy and awe-inspiring cinematography. 

"A day-dreamer escapes his anonymous life by disappearing into a world of fantasies filled with heroism, romance and action. When his job along with that of his co-worker are threatened, he takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined." 

- IMDB







"To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life." 

- LIFE Magazine





When coming out of the theatre I spotted a photo booth. Having never seen one before we had to have a go. And so this is my amazing boy that I've spoken of so many times yet you've all never seen before!

I've also being having a lot of luck lately with my second hand shopping. Even more additions to my collection of vintage nighties and brunch coats! You can see my growing collection here. I think I'm becoming addicted. A few lovely dresses too. I shall be posting a few pictures of them soon.

Speaking of lucky, I've also had a lot in the record department! A couple of weeks ago I went up north and visited the record store of the man who sold me some of my very first records years ago. His collection is quite huge, there being approximately six thousand LPs in his store alone and another few thousand out the back to be sorted. It is quite the treasure trove! Being passionate about his collection he always seems to know exactly what he has and what he hasn't. Whilst in there I asked him if he had ever come across any Syd Barrett LPs or 1960's Pink Floyd LPs. Once or twice he had but they are really quite rare over here. But yet, kindly he said he'd keep an eye out for them, and hold them for me to come and buy from him if he ever came across them. 

Yesterday I popped into his store and, after coming out from the back, he handed me "Opel" - Syd Barrett. In pristine condition and for an incredible price too! What a nice man. I also picked up David Bowie's "Hunky Dory", another LP I've been on the lookout for. Lucky me!

Have you had any luck lately - finding something that you've been on the lookout for?
Or have you seen "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"? 
What did you think?

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

24 comments:

  1. I think i want to see that movie now! It has Kristen Wigg in it too which makes it all the more interesting. How lucky are you - such special records! I have not been lucky at all with my record stores. You and your boy are too cute!

    By the way - are you excited to see the new tv show 'Love child'? I cant wait till it starts! channel 9 keep teasing with their trailer - just show it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is really good in the film. I definitely recommend it.
      I hope that you get some luck in the record department soon, and thank you!
      Yes, I've seen the trailer and it looks really good. I hope that I'll be able to sit down and watch it when it finally airs! I'm looking for a new show to watch!

      Delete
  2. You sure have been lucky with your second hand shopping lately! I haven't really done much recently but I did pick up another crimplene dress from the vintage shop near where I work x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you! I'd love to see a picture of your new dress.

      Delete
  3. Lady luck is surely on your side, Lucy. I had vinyl fever at your age and one of my favorite activities was spending hours in second hand record shops picking through bins of albums looking for rare finds. I know how you felt when the owner presented you with those wax treasures.

    Speaking of luck, your boy is lucky to have a Sixties sweetheart as pretty and nice as you. No wonder he's smiling! Based on your review I am eager to see Walter Mitty. I tend to like Ben Stiller movies and have seen most of them. I notice the film also includes Shirley MacLaine, late of Downton Abbey, and two of my favorite comics, Conan O'Brien and Andy Richter. If you ever get the chance to watch Andy Richter's ill fated TV series, Andy Richter Controls the Universe or Andy Barker, P.I., please have a look at them.

    Good night, dear Lucy, and have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine what it would have been like to go searching for records in your day. Or to experience what it would have been like waiting for one of my favourite bands' new album to be released. It must have been brilliant.

      And thank you! He's a real special one. Yes, Ben Stiller is good and I tend to like his movies as well. I shall definitely keep an eye out for them. I'm always on the look out for new television series to watch.

      Enjoy this coming weekend!

      Delete
  4. I love The Secret Life of Walter Mitty! I've seen it twice already and I want to see it again! It's such a great, inspiring film! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really did enjoy it! Very brilliant and would see again!

      Delete
  5. Ah you look so cute with your boy! I've been wanting to see Walter Mitty myself, I've heard nothing but praise for it and I'm a big fan of Sean Penn and like to see anything he stars in.

    Fantastic vinyl finds! I love the feeling of finding that long sought after record, there's nothing like it. I was super lucky myself a couple of weeks ago and managed to find Ringo Starr's Old Wave LP, it's my favourite of his and I've been searching for it for years, it felt like a gift from the gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yes, Sean Penn is a brilliant actor.
      I love that feeling too. To me it feels like finally finishing a long quest! A super lucky find, indeed! Glad that you finally found it, I can imagine how happy you were to find it.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you have trouble finding Pink Floyd. Every record shop I go in has Dark Side of the Moon. You should have a look ebay or something like that.

    I literally just did a post on my blog about how I'm getting back into record buying. I always find the best deals in charity shops. Sometimes the official shops charge ridiculous prices because of the hipsters with cash :) But yeah, check out markets and charity places because they often have amazing treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that I have trouble finding Pink Floyd records, exactly. I have a lot of their LPs. Their 1970's work is quite common to come by. But here in Australia it is extremely hard to find records of theirs like "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "A Saucerful of Secrets", as well as Syd Barrett's two LPs that he released after being split from the band. They are extremely collectable, and professional record collectors themselves over here go on a mission trying to find them in the flesh.
      Yes, there is always the option to buy online. But I like to view my record collecting as going on a long term adventure with a mission! The way I see it - if I spend years searching high and low for a particular album, being taken to different towns and cities and places I've never been before, meeting new people who share my passion and learning new things, I am much more satisfied finding the record that way. Because then I feel I have more of my own story trying to find it, and great memories often come out from it. Whereas if I bought online I feel that I wouldn't have that. That's not to say that one day I won't perhaps buy online - we'll see!

      Charity shops can be great for finding records. I've picked up my copy of the "Please Please Me" LP in one and a few Wings albums, as well as some classical like Liszt. Markets are good too, also for the fact that there are lots of other goodies to be found there too!

      Delete
  7. Hi there Lucy! Just found your blog and its totally rad :)
    I really love the 1960s too, and I have really been enjoying myself looking around. Everything here is so inspiring and I love your style and that your picture look like you just stepped out of a time machine. You've gained a new follower because i just love what you do. I'll be back soon.
    Until next time, stay groovy :)
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abigail - thank you very much! This was a very nice comment to receive.
      It is always brilliant to find another person who loves the 1960's like I do. Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  8. Here in England at the moment we're just hoping for a little sunshine and warmth - it rains a lot and it's very cold and frosty! Let's do a swap :) your day at the cinema sounds so lovely, I'd love to go and see more than one film in a row. We've been meaning to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty for a little while now, we really should go before it finishes being shown. Your photobooth photos are so cute! I love photobooth photos, but I've never seen a proper one! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A swap would be wonderful in this unending heat!
      You should give it a try, it is quite fun. And definitely see the film before it goes out of cinemas. Yes, I think so too, and hadn't seen a proper one either. I hope that you stumble across one one day!

      Delete
  9. I loved The Secret Life of Walter Mitty so much! I hardly ever buy movies when they come out on DVD, but I love this one so much that I want to be able to hold it! I also love that you see two or three movies one after the other! I've always wanted to do that!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange, I am the exact same. It is very rare that I have the desire to go out and buy a film once it has been released on DVD, but if I do it means that they are the ones that I love the most. I am wanting to buy it too when it comes out.
      Well, it's a new year! You should definitely try it!

      Delete
  10. I think it's so cool that you collect records. I've always wanted to own one of my own. My dad has a bunch of cool records from the 70s and 80s, and it would be fun to play them again soon! Sadly, I haven't seen The Secret Life of Walter Mitty yet but it's on my to do list! Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! You should definitely sit down and have a listen to your father's records. It's an experience itself to pull out an LP, place it on the turntable and sit back and listen to sounds from the past. I say if you'd like to own one of you own, make a start and go and buy it! Something you'll treasure, a real special album that you can always come back to time after time. I hope you get to see the film, and a beautiful weekend to you too!

      Delete
  11. I saw Walter Mitty last month on my birthday, and I loved it! I think the best thing about it was the colors, everything was so vivid and rich! It sparked my wanderlust!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you saw it and enjoyed it too - great film! I loved the use of text, I am a sucker for that in films.

      Delete
  12. Haven't seen the film because I wasn't too sure if I'd like it, but now I'm really interested.

    Ray | Obey Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, but if it's not your cup of tea it's not your cup of tea :)

      Delete