Sunday, January 26, 2014

Some Things Andy Warhol


I've liked Andy Warhol's art since as long as I can remember. It's not hard to like his work. But I never really considered myself a fan until I was in my mid years of high school. After analyzing a select handful of his artworks for an assignment and critically analyzing them through the different art-frames I grew to love them. Towards my later years of high school I considered him one of my art idols, as I became serious about creating art myself - one of my passions that you may not know about, and even took to University level.  

Then the time came in 2007 that the Queensland Art Gallery held the largest Australian exhibition dedicated to the artist, featuring everything Andy Warhol that you could possibly think of. Numerous films of his were playing within in-built theatres, the walls were covered in his silk screens, sketches and unfinished works with his smudged finger prints still upon them, a couple of his time capsules were encased in glass, his Brillo Boxes were piled up here and there, and there was even a recreation of his art installation "Silver Clouds" (1966). It was such a brilliant experience that I went twice and could have gone again and again. I very much wish that I could go there once again now at this age.

This love of mine for his work has even come to the point where my family often call me 'Andy' as a little joke and I've been given little Warhol gifts over the years here and there. The above notebook I bought for myself as a present last year. I couldn't resist. This little book by the Museum of Modern Art was given to me by my mother a few years ago. 

Both this notebook and little Andy figurine within an inspiration box were also given to me by mother for a birthday some years ago. I love this little model. I have him sitting on my bookshelf near all my art gear.

I also bought these folders last year. They are perfect for storing loose University documents and scraps of drawings for artwork ideas that I do here and there. These are also sitting on the shelf with my art necessities. 































There are other things Warhol that I've bought or received over the years - bookmarks, pamphlets, cards, stickers. But after the chaos of trying to squish everything from my unit into one little room I'm afraid they are floating somewhere unknown within a box.

Do you have anything Andy Warhol? What do you think of his work? Do you have a favourite piece?

Mine is by far his yellow "Electric Chair" (1971) as part of his American Death series, which I was lucky enough to see in the flesh. 

24 comments:

  1. Hi, Lucy! I share your passion for art and fortunately have the Ringling Museum of Art within an easy drive of my home. I have visited often and gazed in wonder at masterworks dating back centuries.

    We have been discussing and celebrating the revolution in fashion and music that took place in the Sixties. Once again I can testify that I was there and had a front row seat to another facet of the cultural revolution, the changing face of art. I well remember how pervasive Warhol's art became. In 1967, when I went off to begin four years of university, I found Warhol's paintings of iconic American objects, brands and celebrities in every dormitory and public building on campus. Members of the older generation scratched their heads and wondered if it could even be considered art. The art establishment attacked Warhol's work as a shrine to consumerism. I think beauty can be found in man made objects as well as those wrought by God. All you need is love and an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How brilliant that you have such a place near by to you. There are a few small local galleries in close proximity to where I live, but nothing major for a long distance. How great that you can visit it as often as you like.

      I've read so much about how art has been revolutionized over time through my studies, but I've never really heard anyone tell me of their actual experiences of seeing it change for themselves during the mid century. How interesting that his artworks were displayed throughout your University. May I ask what you studied? I share your view: that beauty can be found in near anything if you possess the imagination and eyes for it.

      Delete
    2. I majored in Broadcasting and Journalism at Pennsylvania State University, main campus. Thanks for asking, dear friend.

      Delete
  2. I really dig 'Electric Chair'. You should share some of your art, if you're comfortable, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you dig it too! I've been thinking about doing so, and possibly starting up an online shop to sell prints online. But it's still being debated over within my head. Perhaps soon! And thank you!

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing some of Warhol's pieces in London once when I was about 13 or so and it left quite an impression on me. Sometimes I feel seeing something in the flesh can make the world of difference, I didn't particularly care one way or the other about his work prior to that but actually seeing it in made me take notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. Sometimes you do have to see or experience something in the real for yourself in order to take something back from it. Do you remember which works of his that you saw?

      Delete
    2. Oh yes: Double Disaster: Silver Car Crash and Atomic Bomb where the two that really impacted me, but the exhibition mostly showed his celebrity silkscreens. It included Marilyn, which I didn't expect to be as impressed with as I was due to it being reproduced so much, but seeing the actual piece and the sheer size of it really was quite something!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I find that anything from his Disaster Series tends to have quite the impact upon me. Atomic Bomb is a brilliant artwork in my eyes. I was also lucky enough to see some of his Marilyn silk screens - they are so much more beautiful to see in reality.

      Delete
  4. Such a neat guy. I absolutely adore those folders. Definitely my style! Might we someday get the opportunity to see some of your work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As I said to Jaime, I am currently thinking about it. Maybe eventually you will see something pop up on here!

      Delete
  5. I'm a fan of Andy Warhol too, I saw a few of his pictures in the Tate Liverpool once and it was lovely seeing them in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! I'm glad that you got to see some of his works in real life.

      Delete
  6. andy warhol was so controversial and yet so fascinating. i'd love to see this exhibition - i've seen his works in berlin, but only few of them.

    weirdoland - pigeongray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, he was. I'd love to know what works of his you saw in Berlin.

      Delete
  7. I love some of Andy Warhol's work. His portrait of Elizabeth Taylor is one of my favorites!

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to educate myself more when it comes to his work. I always admire the pieces that I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his work is very innovative. He was a brilliant artist.

      Delete
  9. i went to a pop art exhibition in Sydney a few years back and there was only one piece there of Andy's. My friend said at the time - its the biggest let down in art - because there's a big chance Andy didn't even do this particular piece himself - considering the amount of helpers he had in his silver factory. I love his overall message about art being anything and for anyone and how he was more than happy to take the back seat of his friends antics and observe and make more art from their lives. I think i remember reading that he was actually a very simple person but the scene he was a part of and the people he was friends with made it all the more exciting to be Andy. Did you ever get to pick up some of the pop art tomato soup cans? When they came out there were some people saying 'oh this is just exploitation of his art' which is stupid to say because its probably exactly what he would have wanted! Blogs, talent and reality shows, internet fame - i think these are all things he would have loved. we're all one of Andy's superstars now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose in a way it is a bit of a let down: that some pieces of his that you see may not have even had any physical contact with him at all. I remember thinking about that when I visited the Queensland exhibition. Though I'm sure many would consider that quite cold and selfish, that he employed all these people to create for him yet receive no recognition, in some way I still think that it was all part of a greater cause in his mind to mass produce art in a way that would replicate his frequent subject matter of mass consumerism and product manufacturing. Though there are obvious downsides, I think it was a very innovative, controversial and conceptual approach to creating art and challenging what it means to create art.
      I love that message from him as well - the art can be anything, and it is very true! He took simple things in life and turned them into works of art. Yes, I have read that about him too. That though he was the epicentre of this huge new hip scene, in some way he was still detached from it I think as an observer.
      No, I never got to pick up some of his pop art tomato soup cans, and I wish I did. I regret not doing so. Did you? I don't believe at all it was an exploitation of his art - I think too that he would have loved it and all the fame he now receives through so many different forms of media. Right you are!

      Delete
  10. I love Warhol. I missed the exhibit when it was in Seattle a few years ago. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great artist, isn't he? That is a real shame that you missed the exhibit, I'm sorry to hear.

      Delete
    2. Yes he is! I hope the exhibit comes back sometime soon.

      Delete